Kidney Failure and fluid retention in the lungs
My father has been in renal failure for years now and due to cancer is down to just one kidney.  The doctors gauge his kidney function to be about 14%.  Recently he has had not only edema in his feet and legs, but also his lungs.  They have doubled his lasisc, but with very little results.  He is having to sleep in his chair at night since he can't breathe and coughs when laying down.  Is the next step dialysis or are there other medications that can be prescribed? He doesn't see the specialist until Thursday PM and I wanted to get an idea of what we are going to encounter in order to prepare my mother for the outcome.

Thanks for any advice or personal experience, even if there are any suggestions on how he can be more comfortable - he is unable to put his shoes on and just walking to the car is very painful.