Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Pain after pyeloplasty and removal of stent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My son had a pyeloplasty nearly two months ago to correct a UPJ obstruction and severe hydronephrosis.  Since the surgery he has complained of flank pain.  We were told by the urologist that once the stent was removed that the pain and inflammation should subside.  While the stent was still in, i had taken my son to the ED for severe pain 5 times, it actually mimicked the pain that he had pre-op.  The stent was removed 5 days ago and he has since had kidney pain.  He is on pain medication to deal with the severe pain.  Last night we once again ended up in the Emerency Room.  The urinalysis and blood work showed no infection or abnormality.  He also had an ultrasound and the kidney has decreased in size.  So, with no infection present and kidney function is actually improving, what could be causing the severe pain?  He is only six years old and it kills me to have to see him go thru this
Hi! I know the pain and the frustration you are experiencing.  My son (5) had the laproscopic pyeloplasty Oct 2011.  The nephrostent was pulled a week and a half later and within hours he was having symptoms of obstruction just like before surgery.  We went into the urologists office the next morning and an ultrasound showed his kidney was huge again.  They placed a stent that same day and we went home.  Even with the stent he was experiencing stomach pain on and off.  They removed the stent the last week of Dec. 2011 and once again he was showing signs of obstruction by the next day.  The next day an ultrasound showed his kidney was huge again to they placed a nephrostomy tube in his back to relieve his symptoms until we were able to discuss with the urologist on what action to take next.  When we met with the urologist he deceided to do the open pyeloplasty to get a better open visual picture of the obstructed area.  He had the open pyeloplasty Jan 2012 and we are almost two weeks out.  Two days ago we had a nephrostogram and none of the dye went thru his ureter.  So we are waiting to see if the swelling go down from sugery and hopefully the ureter opens and works.  I would like to hear more about your story and any other steps you have taken since Nov. 2011.  I have been researching non-stop to see other ways to help relieve his obstruction without more surgeries.  I truly sympathize with you since I know what an emotional roller coaster this whole process is when your part of the % that has problems.  Looking forward to hearing from you!
Here we are, nearly 10 months after surgery.  My son had a good 6 months with little or no flank pain.  About 2 months ago, the pain started once again.  I was told that it seemed as though it was not the kidney this time but constipation... My son has had the problem with constipation since he was about 2 months old and since the surgery has been on and off of miralax to help with the symptoms.  A few days ago, we ended up back in the Emergency room, the pain had my son crying and holding his side just as he did prior to his pyeloplasty.  They did an x-ray and confirmed the constipation but also did an ultrasound and confirmed the hydronephrosis to be back but that the kidney function was actually good.  I do not understand what the correlation is between the constipation and the kidney function but it always seems when one symptom is present, the other shows as well.  After leaving the ER, I was told to increase fluid intake, limit greasy foods and increase the miralax dosage.  He has for the most part seemed fine since.  We do have to follow up with the urologist within the next few days.  It is just beyond frustrating to continue dealing with seeing your child in pain after the surgery to remedy the situation has been completed.  What is the outcome of your sons situation?  I know that the hydronephrosis will be present due to the kidney being damaged but is there any remedy to the symptoms?
This is an old post so unfortunately you will likely not get an answer. You may want to try posting it as its own post and see that way. For constipation dried prunes worked well for me and are sweet so he'll likely eat them. I was on pain killers that caused major constipation and if I eat some of those each day it would help a lot.
Hi my son is 5 and was finally found to have UPJ obstruction after years of these episodes and trips to the ER! Let me ask you a question; do you think your son is actually constipated or do you think that is just what the drs first theory is. I was told for years that's what was causing these pains and after numerous enemas and suppositories and nothing ever really coming out, I realize it was never constipation my son had! The drs just didn't want to admit they were wrong! My son had robotic pyloplasty. He had severe complications causing him to be in the hospital for weeks. We got out of the hospital and he had 4 episodes with the stent in. He had the stent removed 3 weeks ago and has had one episode. We go for an ultrasound in a couple days but considering he is still having the episodes it's hard to be optimistic about what we will see. My dr did give him Toradol and told me to crush it as soon as the episode starts and WOW! It knocks the pain out immediately! It's the only reason I am able to keep calm about all this.