Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney Pain

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experienced any of the same symptom or understands what I am feeling.
I was diagnosed with hydronephrosis when I was 17.  When I was 27, I was told I had severe UPJ in my left kidney with many kidney stones.  I was always in pain, had severe nausea and blood in my urine for months.  Original urologist did not want to operate because I had 42% kidney function in left kidney.  Because of the pain and other symptoms I was having, I switched doctors.  Within a month, my new urologist operated.  I had nephrolithotomy done in July and he attempted endopylotomy, but failed.  He removed about 25 stones from left kidney.  After surgery, pain got worse and nausea was unbearable.  I took zofran, it was the only thing that would help.  I did another renal scan and left kidney was taking about 40 minutes to drain.  In January, I had a lap pyeloplasty done. My urologist said surgery went well and we'll know after my renal scan in March if my function/draining time has improved.  In the mean time, I have extreme pain that does not seem to be relieved with Tylenol.  It feels as though someone has kicked me in the back.  Today I had less than normal urine output and I drank quite a bit.  Usually my output is almost equal to my input.  I feel as though I am still obstructed.  Is this possible? Has anyone experience this type of pain?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I understand your concern regarding your symptoms and it is good that the surgery went well. It is best that you inform your doctor of the persisting pain for proper management. Further evaluation may need to be done and additional tests may be requested also to rule out  other causes also such as muscle strain, degenerative disease of the lumbar spine, fracture or infection,  and problems in the back of the pelvis. Take care and do keep us posted.