Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney Stones

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney Stones

I recently was diagnosed with kidney stones - some "nice sized stones" the doctor said.  My prostate is also somewhat large (the urologist said, from a recent rectal exam).   And i may have inflammation or infection related to this.

I haven't had what I would call a kidney stone attack,however.  My question is - if I had multiple kidney stones, that are not small, can they cause a blockage of my urinary tract and, if so, is one of the remedies to have emergency surgery?
Hi, probably it is enlarged prostrate which is the cause of obstruction; ultrasound is diagnostic for both grading of prostrate enlargement and site and size of stones. Kidney stones usually cause obstruction if they are present in renal pelvis or ureter.

In case of obstruction due to enlarged prostrate, medicines are initially given which relaxes smooth muscle of urethra and improves urinary flow, surgery is last resort. In case of ureter stones, type of treatment depends upon size of stone.
My urologist is now ordering a CAT scan of my kidneys - to get a better picture of the size and location of the kidney stones, he said.

A question for me is which came first - my protatitis (enlarged or inflammed prostate), with accompanying sensation or discomfort in my lower abdoment, or my kidney stones.

I'm figuring that kidney stones take a while to form and that, if I have kidney stones and possibly an infection, it's likely that I had the kidney stones first and they contributed to the infection, rather that having an infection first that contributed to the kidney stones (sorry if this sounds confusing).
Hi, it is immaterial which came first or last as kidney stones gets formed not because of infection or any obstruction in urinary tract induced by enlarged prostrate. Similarly, urinary tract infection occurs without stone formation too.

Hence important is to treat accompanied infection and enlarged prostrate. Take care
My doctor is having me get a CAT scan.

One question - he indicated that I'd know it if I had pain from the stones.  A quick google search found that kidney stone pain can be excrutiating.  Is it always excrutiating and, if so, for how long?  Do you get warning beforehand?
Hi, renal stone pain is mostly excruciating especially if the stone is in ureter. There are no such warning signs but one can get dull aches in the flank region a day or 2 before onset of severe pain.

“Kidney stones typically leave the body by passage in the urine stream, and many stones are formed and passed without causing symptoms. If stones grow to sufficient size before passage—on the order of at least 2-3 millimeters—they can cause obstruction of the ureter. The resulting obstruction with dilation or stretching of the upper ureter and renal pelvis as well as spasm of muscle, trying to move the stone, can cause severe episodic pain, most commonly felt in the flank, lower abdomen and groin (a condition called renal colic). Renal colic can be associated with nausea and vomiting due to the embryological association of the kidneys with the intestinal tract. Hematuria (bloody urine) is commonly present due to damage to the lining of the urinary tract”.

Taken from website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone