Kidney Ultrasound
I was being tested for lupus and they did a renal ultrasound and blood tests. The blood was OK but the ultrasound was abnormal. Please tell me what this means:

The right kidny measures 11 cm in length and demonstrates a hyperechoic nonshadowing focus at the medial upper pole measuring 8.6 X 5.7 X 6.6 mm. There is no evidence of cyst or solid lesion, hydronephrosis, or hydroureter.

The left kidney measures 11.5 cm in length without hydronephrosis, hydroureter, gross renal calculus, cyst or solid lesion. There is no free fluid.

IMPRESSION:
1. Nonshadowing hyperechoic round focus at the medial upper pole right kidney, which is nonspecific.
2. No other renal pathology.

My nephrologist wants to repeat the ultrasound in 3 months. What could this be?

One of the goodies which comes along for some of us Lupus patients is Lupus Nephritis. Some of us are also on certain meds which cause kidney damage or deficiancy not related to Lupus Nephritis. Right now your kidneys are OK. Repeating it in three months maybe because you are on cerain meds or in the process of you being tested for Lupus your doctor would like to keep a close watch on your kidneys particularly if you are having what is known as a Lupus Flare. Lupus is very unpredictable - so be patient and do as your doctor says - better then having a doctor who is not aggressive enough.
So what is a "hyperechoic nonshadowing focus"? Clearly abnormal, no?

Sorry about that. There appears to be a small mass, re: cyst which your doctor would like to keep on eye on. Being a shadow it does not appear to be any thing serious at the moment. It may decipate on its own.

Your ultrasound results showed nonspecific findings.This does not warrant any immediate intervention at the moment and your urologist would like to monitor your kidneys in 3 months time to see if these findings are persistent.

At this point, I would assume that they are still trying to assess you with lupus and no definite diagnosis has yet been ascertained ( is this correct)?

I know you are highly anxious about this. Let us wait for your test results.Management of your condition shall start from there.For the meantime, it is good to have your ultrasound tests come clear of any structural abnormalities .

Do keep us posted regarding your physician's advice.
Yes no specific diagnosis. He said my blood tests do not show the markers for lupus, aside from a high ANA (1280). I know there is something going on, but no one knows what.
Sounds like you might have some kind of autoimmune disease going on with that high ANA level,maybe the starting of IGA NEPHROPATHY OR SJOGRUMS syndrome.Do you have dry skin or not enough salava or burning eyes?These can be indications.Did your doctor do a urine on you for protein or blood?
I'm having a 24 urine creatine and cortisol test. Is this to show kidney issue?