Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney failure and coumadin use

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney failure and coumadin use

Hi, my father has gone into end stage kidney failure, doctors think it is probably from the asacol he has been on for years (doctors never checked kidney function for almost 10 years while on this drug). Now he is on dialysis and three times in the last month has been sent to the emergency room because they said the coumadin he has been on is causing him to bleed. He has had transfusions and is sent home only to be sent back a few days later because of his bleeding.  He is on the coumadin because he has had blood clots in the past and has atrial fib.  My mother is lost, not getting many answers from the doctors and any suggestions or questions we should be asking would be greatly appreciated.  He will be 80 years old next week.  Thanks...
I have to ask, just for the record...I'm assuming your father is being treated by a nephrologist, correct?  He should be, if not.  

I have found from personal experience and with a kidney problem of my own, that being on a medication for a # of years actually causes more damage, so your fathers decline in health could very well be from extensive coumadin use and/or any other type of drug he was on.  Steroids especially cause damage over time.  

Um, at 80 yrs old....I don't think there is much that can be done; unfortunately, I'm sorry to say that.  If he's at end stage....

I guess my only piece of advice, if I were you...is to go online & google kidney specialists....if you really want better answers, go seek 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinions until your question bank is fulfilled.  HTH and best of luck to you and your family.