Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney infection

Anyone here had a kidney infection before? What helps for pain? And how long does the pain normally last??
I have had kidney infections before. I found heat helps with the pain. You can get ThermoCare Heat packs meant for the back. If you attach it a bit higher than the back and towards the side it helps. It stays hot for 8 hours.

How long it is painful depends on how well or how quickly the meds work. Your doctor or pharmacist may be able to answer this question better.

Good luck. Hope your pain doesn't last long.

The pain has lasted about 5 days now, I am on an antibiotic right now. But it's not working yet. Ill try to see if heat with help.
Thank you!
I had servel kidney infection. And the pain is unbariable. I couldnt talk sleep or think. My mom treated me with all natural medicine and it took a week to go away. The pain goes from your back to your stomach none stop pain. I drank alot of green tea with some vitamins and cranberry  juice help me out alot.
What kind of natural medicines did you try??
Another quick thought. The natural medicines made me think about it. Not until you are done your antibiotics, but once you are done taking acidophilus (health bacteria) will prevent the yeast infection that often comes after a course of antibiotics. You want to make sure to get a good brand with lots of different bacterium. I use Natural Factors.

I had to use Ciprofloxin to get rid of my kidney infection. That stuff is nasty on the side effect profile, but works.
I have about 5 more days worth of antibiotics. I was put on Macrobid! It seems to be working. The pain from the infection is not too bad anymore. I am just getting Endo pain again!
The  trick is  to  catch  it  early, or  as soon  as you  start  getting  symptoms.   Symptoms  might include,   fever,  pain  with urination  and  when  well  advanced,  pain on lower  back.

Once  antibiotics  start  working,  the pain  begins  to  subside.

The  antibiotic  given  will depend on the  type  of    infection.   When  blood  and urine  tests  are  done,  a  test  is  done to  check  what kind  of  infection it  is  and  which  antibiotic  will  work.

Hope it  gets  better  real  soon!!
Well, I didn't know I had it. That was the problem. I  just woke up one morning and was in excruciating pain! It was than that I went to my doc's and had a urine sample done and found out I had a bad kidney infection. It is not easy for me to tell if I have an infection, cuz I am usually always in pain in my lower back due to Endo! I was put on Macrobid for 10 days. And I think the pain is subsiding now. Thank god! That did help tho!
So, I was just put on Ciprofloxacin. Anyone been on it before?? My kidney infection has not gone away yet! Now, I have to go for an ultrasound! They think my Endo is preventing me from peeing to get rid of it! HELP!!
Do you  know if your  Dr  ordered  an   "urine  culture" ?
Some  drs  just  order the  "dip stick"  test.    
Then  they  most  often  prescribe  Cipro.  
If  a culture is done,   a  test  will be  done to  determine   what  the  cause of the  infection is  and which med  is  best to  treat  such  infection.  Sorry  to  sound  repetitious!  :(

Good  luck  with t he  ultrasound!!
I did 2 urine tests and I think with the second one they sent it to be checked for the bacteria count or something. No idea if it has come in yet.
They put me on Cirpo but I am having like an allergic reaction to it. The palms of my hands are itchy and my feet are itchy! I tried Benadryl but it just made me feel sick! So, I stopped taking both (with advice from a nurse). I have just been drinking Cranberry juice now. And the pain seems to be going away! So, let's hope it goes away this time!
And the ultrasound went good but it was pointless!! It didn't show anything!! Didn't show infection or my Endo!!! So, just another pointless test!!!
Thank you for your response!! It helps lots!