Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney injury

could you please tell me the healing time for a grade 3-4 kidney injury.  17 yr very healthy male, doctors said they are being very conservative but feel 8 weeks before return to his normal activity and sport.  Is this set in stone or is it dependant upon how the patient heals.  Are there tests that we can have done that will possibly show us he can return sooner?
No surgery was needed.  Bleeding stopped on it's own after 24 hrs.  They went in through a main vain because they thought they would have to stop the bleeding.  Once in they said they didn't have to do anything and from the pictures they said the injury didn't look as severe.
Kidney Injury can turn serious so I would stick to the 8 weeks to allow healing as you don't want kidney injury to become worse. Take it from me .. someone who lost her kidneys back when I was 16 and had to go on dialysis, a machine to keep me alive in place of kidneys. People do not realize just how important kidneys are.