Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney lesion

I have been having horrible abdominal issues and my GI doc ordered an abdominal/pelvic CT scan, which I had done this morning.
He actually called not long afterward to tell me I have a small stone and a lesion on my left kidney (probably the only place on me I have no symptoms).  He does not think this is causing my abdominal issues but I think he is ordering an MRI and referring me to a urologist, or maybe the urologist will order the MRI.
Actually, I've had a burning pain on the right side of my back, over my rib area, but think it is a nerve issue.
Now, I'm worried.  Should I be?  
Often times when you get a CT scan other unrelated things are found sometimes that is the only way they are found. I have been having abdominal pain for six months which they have not been able to pin point
in order to help me. In the meantime they discovered a cyst on my kidney
and a tumor on the inside of my third rib they claim neither of these have
any connection with the symptoms that I have been complaining about
all along. Dont be too alarmed especially about the stone and as far as the lesion is concerned if it is an issue now they you will get the help you need.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This could also be renal colic. Sometimes the stones may not be picked up by imaging studies. But this is usually accompanied by blood in the urine. The other causes for the pain could be infections of the bowel, prolapsed intervertebral disc or inflammatory diseases of the colon. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you. Wish I had seen this yesterday as I had an appt. with my GI doctor who says it is IBS but does have me set up for a hydrogen (?) breath test in two weeks.  There has been no blood detected in my urine which was checked in the ER twice recently.  I have had stools checked, endoscopy and colonoscopy with biopsies.
I see an Urologist today and will discuss this with her.
I also read today that taking Vit E and Calcium can cause kidney stones.  My Endo doc put me on these due to Osteoporosis and I won't take Fosomax or Actonel.  However, due to the stomach issues, I haven't taken them in weeks.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Dietary calcium can cause an increased risk for stone formation. As you discuss the probabilities with your doctor, follow some lifestyle measures.  Dietary changes may help prevent kidney stone formation if you are prone for it. Prevention strategies for kidney stones include - Increasing your daily fluid intake and taking the recommended daily allowance of calcium. Increase your fluid intake to the point where your urine volume reaches 2.5 litres a day. This may mean drinking up to 3 litres a day, if you live in a hot, dry climate or if you are involved in strenuous physical activity. Increasing urine volume decreases the concentration of minerals in the urine. This makes it less likely that a stone will form.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.