Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidney pain after half a beer..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kidney pain after half a beer..

I'm a 19 year old male with a slender body build and a relatively healthy diet. I'm not your typical college boy binge drinker. I'm a very social drinker and usually only drink 1-5 beers a week. I did however drink quite an excessive amount while I was in high school. I also recently quit smoking and haven't had a cigarette in 13 days.

The other day I drank a beer at a friends house and after I was finished I noticed this pain in the left side of my back right under the ribs in the kidney area. It was somewhat moderate and effected my breathing a little but was tolerable.

The following day I bought a case of beer to take home to my friends to have a good friday night and halfway through my first beer the pain came on again except this time much more severe. I was writhing in pain on my bed and could barely breathe. The pain was excruciating and lasted about 30min to an hour before subsiding to a low level of pain.  

I have been doing research on the subject and came across everything from kidney stones/infection to all sorts of horrible things. This pain seems to only be brought on by drinking and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my body clearing out all the toxins from me smoking for years and a little alcohol is overworking my kidneys. I'm somewhat concerned about it however I am in college and can't really afford to go to the doctor unless I necessarily have to. Any advice/ideas would be very much appreciated!