Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidneys Damaged with Diabetes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Kidneys Damaged with Diabetes

1) My Mother is a type 1 diabetic patient.
2) Both her kidneys are damaged. Though her doctor has asked for a dialysis treatment but for some unstated reasons she refused to take it
3) some details of her ailment....
urea-101mg/dl
creatinine-5.6mg/dl
Na-132 mmol/l
K- 5.4 mmol/l
serum uric acid- 8.5mg/dl
TSH-5.5
Free Thyroxine- 1.3 ng/dl
Free Tri iodo Thyronine -1.8 pg/ml
4) Injections:
Human Actrapid (before breakfast, lunch & dinner)
Human Insulatard(bed time)
WEPOX 4000 (haemoglobin injections given twice a week)

So plz anyone can giude me on my Mother's Health...
Any more Questions on my Mother's health are most welcomed..
Related Discussions
1308559_tn?1322689445
Hi

I  too have  diabetes,   unfortunately  high blood  sugars  will take a  toll on  all of  our  majort  vital organs,  kidneys  being  one of those.  After  25 yrs   diabetes  took  a toll on  my  kidneys.  I've  been  doing  dialysis  since  2004.   Dialysis  is not the  end  of  the  world,  while  life  without  dialysis  when kidneys  fail,  IS    the    end  of the  world.
We  need  our kidneys  to  live!!!
Maybe your  mom  will benefit  from  speaking  to  a  dialysis  nurse   or  other  patients  who  are  on  dialysis  so she  can  see  dialysis  is  not  as  bad  as  you  thinks.  

Her  numbers  are  elavated,  I'd  worry about  the  high  potassium level   (normal is  3.15-5.1)              Potassium helps  muscles,  the  heart  being the  biggest  and  most  important  muscle  in  our  body  can  stop  beating  if  potassium  gets  too elevated.

Does  she  suffer  with  "gout"  often?  her  uric  acid  is  above  normal.  Normal levels  are  2.6-7.2
Uric  acid  is  a  crystal  that  can  attach  to  any  joint  in the  body,  but  also  to  major  organs  and  the latter  can  be  life  threatening.               You  might  want  to  reseach  which  foods   are  bad  or   increase  uric  acid  in the  blood  and  give  a list  of  foods  to  avoid,  to your  mom.

if you  go  to  the  following  sites     you  will  read   experiences  of  people  with  CKD   and  are  on  dialysis.
http://www.davita.com/forum
http://www.kidneyspace.com/
http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/newBB/index.php

Has the  Dr  suggested  transplantation?   That's  another  treatment option for  renal  failure.

Take  care  and I hope your mom  reconsiders  her  decision.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...