Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kidneys functions only 50%-What's the cause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hi.  My mother in law has just been tested and the Dr says that her kidneys are only functioning 50% of what they should.  I can't seem to get any answers and was wondering what this could mean.  Please respond with any information.  Thank you
  • Is nash Hereditary? (1 replies):
    My mother in law has Nash and so far she is the only one...[more]
  • Blood Tests (4 replies):
    I have had some 'interesting' symptoms of late, they see...[more]
  • High Protein (1 replies):
    So I've been having high protein in my urine for the las...[more]
  • CKD (3 replies):
    What is CKD in relation to kidney disease
  • Renal failure.. (1 replies):
    My Brother in law just found out that he is in renal fa...[more]
Hi, chronic renal failure could be caused by various things, eg. kidney diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, certain medication (eg certain painkillers and antibiotics)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? How is your mother-in-law? Does she have diabetes? Chronic kidney or chronic renal disease, is a progressive loss of renal function over a period of months or years through five stages. The most common causes of CKD are diabetic nephropathy, hypertension, and glomerulonephritis. Initially it is without specific symptoms and can only be detected as an increase in serum creatinine or protein in the urine. Abdominal ultrasound is commonly performed, wherein kidneys with CKD are usually smaller  than normal kidneys. The goal of therapy is to slow down or halt the otherwise relentless progression of CKD to the fifth stage. This link may be of help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_renal_failure

Take care and regards.
My mother in law is tired alot, loss of appetite, dizzy spells, has high blood pressure and has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers.  We are not sure what it is since we have only talked to a daughter and not the doctor.  I am contacting the Dr to see what they are doing to find out exactly what is wrong.  thank you for your help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The dizziness could be attributed to the high blood pressure. Is she taking any medications for this? It would be best if her blood pressure be controlled first. Please do update us on developments.
Take care and regards.
Yes my mother in law is on medication.  That is under control at this time.  Thank you for your concern and time.