Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Kinked ureter and pyelonephritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Kinked ureter and pyelonephritis

I have a kink in my left ureter near the renal pelvis. I have frequent UTIs that I take long-term antibiotics to prevent, but I still get UTIs sometimes, which have gone on to pyelonephritis several times, always affecting my left kidney. I experience a strong pain and a sensation that something is turning inside out or twisting sometimes when I urinate- I can tell if a particular urination is going to result in this pain because there is a delay before the flow starts. I have had 2 24 hour urinalyses which showed proteinuria on the first one, then no proteinuria but low calcium on the second. I also have scarring in the left kidney. Is there any kind of procedure that could correct this- it is not causing an obstruction apparently but I cannot see how when the problems I have seem to come from that kidney that just doing nothing and taking antibiotics is the best course of action. The pain is sometimes excrutiating, I've ended up on the bathroom floor sometimes because it is so intense- the only good thing is that it doesn't last long, once I have finished urinating the pain has usually subsided although I am left with an ache that can last a few hours afterwards and I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on the pain discomfort and inconvenience of UTIs and pyelonephritis. Does anyone have any experience with this- it seems that because there is no functional obstruction it's not deemed a problem but I can assure anyone that to me it is.
  • uti (1 replies):
    why does one have too many uti's and show abnormal prote...[more]
  • UTI (1 replies):
    i have a problem of frequent urination for quite sometim...[more]
  • Proteinuria & Stress
    Hello, I am interested in finding out more information r...[more]
  • What could be wrong (1 replies):
    I have had diarrhea, abdominal pain and weakness for abo...[more]
  • Please help (1 replies):
    the pain is in my left side, not all the time only somet...[more]