Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Lab results for GFR and Creatinine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Lab results for GFR and Creatinine

I had a blood test recently and it showed that my creatinine was 1.15 and my GFR was 52.  I have noticed increased urination and feeling I need to go even after I just went.  I have some pain during urination sometimes and sometimes only a little will come out.  I have never had low levels before.  Is this a serious issue that needs to be taken care of soon, or is it not that big of a worry at this point.  I am a 40 year old woman--if that helps any.
your creatine is more of a concern right now than your GFR.. your GFR is low but not serious and you need to determine what is causing your renal dysfunction. Have you discussed all of this with your doctor and I would suggest making an appt with a nephrologist. Do not take any ibuprofen, Aleve, or any other anti-inflammatories like Celebrex either, as these are hard on the kidneys-take Tylenol only. Any prescription meds also should be approved by your doctor. Drink lots of water and clear fluids. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes, these conditions needs to be maintained or else your kidneys pay the price. You are really not very old and if you are in overall good health, this condition can turn itself around. Be sure to stay on top of this.
My GFR was listed as >90   What does that mean?  I don't understand why the less than sign is in front of the number?  Creatinine is at 0.66. Thanks.
Hi, Opal!  I'm new to kidney problems, but a similar thing happened to me - only my lab just put GFR "greater than" 60 (which, as in your case, didn't tell me the specific number for the GFR).  Incidentally, the little sign in front of the 90 actually means "greater than" rather than "less than." From what I have read, A GFR greater than 90 is a good GFR (although it is also listed as being part of stage 1 kidney disease - which I don't understand why - but that is if there is also protein in the urine).

Anyway, you can find out the exact number of your GFR at the National Kidney Foundation's link: http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/gfr_calculator.cfm
At that link you will find a GFR Calculator:  Click on the circle for mg/dl, then enter your creatinine number (which was 0.66).  Enter your age, race, gender, and click on the circle for "yes".   Then you will see MDRD GFR and the number which follows is your exact GFR result.

My creatinine and GFR were similar to yours which I was told were "good" scores, but then 3 months later my GFR dropped 40 points and my creatinine went up over 1.  So because your labs are good once, they still need to checked periodically - especially if you're a diabetic, have high blood pressure or some other risk for kidney disease.
hi the reason an egfr of over 90 is listed is stage one is only if there are symtpoms of kidney disease, otherwise is normal. good site is :
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/gfr/tab/test
egfr of 52 is stage 3 kidney disease, it should be repeated each 3 months to ensure not progressing!!! Mine is stage 3 and have had to be referred to a nephrologist to try and slow down the decline. If it was just aa  one off test though, it should be repeated as other factors can effect it eg infection etc. thats about my limit lol I suggest a good site in a further comment though
Hi I have been dealing with my kidneys, and now just added was that my ANA is postive and out of range, and now my RNP Anitbody is Postive as well as my sm/RNP Antibodys. My GFR is up to 62, and creatinine 1.15. I have a Doc who is very dismissive, prob do to the state insurance.  I dont know what any of this means?  I says under one of the RNP that "It strong suggests mixed connective tisssue disease? I would like to know if anyone could help explain all of this to me. :(  Thanks for any help
My mom is 66 years old. While having an MRI for her back and leg pain , they noticed a mass on the kidney which required a CT scan. They did a blood test and the following results i am concerned about: ESR 73 mm/hr, Creatinine 1.5 mg/dL, and Est. GFR 35
CBC test was very good except the Hematocrit is 36%.
They said that we cannot do the CT scan due to the high level of Creatinine and now we are waiting for an appointment with the Kidney specialist.
Please note that my mom suffers from high blood pressure and iscurrently taking Co approval 300/12.5
Before doing the blood test she was taking pain medications for her leg and back pain B12 pills and injections and before that she was taking profenid and another antibiotic for the flu she was sufferring from.
Please help me and tell me whats wrong with her.
thank you