Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Left Kidney pain. Any Advice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Left Kidney pain. Any Advice?

I am a 27 year old female. I don't drink and I don't smoke. I have been passing kidney stones since 2006. I recently saw a Urologist in November of 2011. I was told I had 2 large stones in my left kidney and a few small ones in my right kidney. I went to the Urologist because I had been experiencing terrible pain in my left kidney. In December I had my left kidney cleaned out by laser through the urethra. It took over 3 weeks to recover and it was the most terrible pain I have ever felt. They did not put a stent in. I then had my right kidney done 3 weeks later. I recovered in a day. No pain.

After about 4 weeks of having the kidney stone removal surgery my left kidney began to hurt again. Since the surgery I have felt a dull constant pain and I can feel my kidney throbbing/pulsating. It feels like a muscle spasm in my left kidney. Again the recovery from the left side stone removal was horrific and the pain is back. Today I am now experiencing the a more painful type of pain in my left kidney. As if I have a back injury, but again only my left kidney hurts. No other symptoms except pain. I have also caught bronchitis and this is also making me feel worse.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be scar tissue causing the pain?

I am forced to see a Urologist at a county hospital because I don't have insurance. I made an appointment over a month ago and I went to the appointment. I waited 4 hours and still didn't see a doctor. I had to leave due to picking up my kids. So, I didn't get to see the Urologist. Should I just wait this out? Should I go to the Emergency room? I feel lost and tired of the same thing with my left kidney. What is the deal?

Thanks for listening.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain could be due to scar tissue, as sometimes this can cause an urethral stricture, which can cause an obstruction to urinary flow and pain. Also, the pain could be due to a stone obstructing the flow of urine. Only further investigations can help diagnose. If the pain is very severe you could go to the ER, if not wait for your appointment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.