Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Left kidney lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Left kidney lesion

I recently had a CT of abdomen and pelvis due to having ongoing stomach problems.
They found a 9mm illdefined Hypodense lesion Within the left kidney With Hounsfield units up to 109? Solid lesion is not excluded?
Also no obstructing 2mm Left renal calculus.
Abdominal Multiphase MRI recommended.
My GI doctor does not seem concerned but has ordered the MRI and referred me to a urologist.
The GI doc has been doing a multitude of tests trying to determine the reason for my abdominal issues but he thinks I am dealing with IBS.  
On one occasion, I had some slight pain in my left flank area but have had no other obvious kidney symptoms on that side.
Now, I am worried as I don't understand these findings.
No comments?
I am sick again today. Completely dry mouth, bloated, upset stomach.
Omeprazole, Xanax, Pepto not helping.
Called ER and the clinic and they are busy
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament and sorry for the late reply. The hypodense lesion could be a cyst. Simple kidney cysts are usually incidental findings. They more common as people age. An estimated 25 percent of people 40 years of age and 50 percent of people 50 years of age have simple kidney cysts. Now, the questionable solid lesion could also be due to bleeding into a cyst, it need not always be due to malignancy. Further investigations will help differentiate this.

Your abdominal symptom may not be related the kidney lesions. Try lifestyle measures, add plenty of yogurt to your diet, avoid all fatty greasy foods, avoid foods that trigger your symptoms and exercise regularly, they promote good bowel movements.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you.
I had the MRI done and that report said left kidney has a non enhancing T1andT2 dark 10mm lesion involving the upper pole. I don't know what that means.  My GI doc does not seem too concerned.
I see a Urologist today and am a bit nervous.
Went to see a Urologist today,ma woman, actually. She was very nice and actually pulled up the images from the CT and MRI scans to show me what the radiologist was seeing. Really helped me to understand better.  It is not light in color nor dark, like the liver shows up. She really feels it is a small cyst that may have some bleeding in it. She asked me if I was on blood thinners, which I am not.  The stone is very small.  She recommended having an ultrasound done in 6 mos to recheck it.  She also said this would not be the cause of my GI issues.
Just today I had read that Calcium and Vit D may contribute to the formation of kidney stones, both of which my Endocronologist has prescribed for my Osteoporosis.  I see her on Friday for thyroid nodule follow up.  The doctor I saw today dies not agree with the high doses.
It is a concern because every time they do these tests they always mention the spine degeneration, ESP at L2and L3.  I also have it in my neck. So, what do I do? I will not take Fisomax or Actonel
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But did you discuss about calcium supplements with your urologist? She could have decided whether its ok to take the supplement. Medications are taken based on the risks and benefits involved. But dont worry, discuss this next time you meet her. And are you post menopausal?

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Forgot I had posted here.  Yes, post-menopausal.
The urologist wanted me to have a follow up ultrasound in 6 months on the lesion.  Had it done last week and about an hour later they called to say they wanted more images.  Nobody wants a call back.  This time a supervisor did the test.
The doctor called me and said it was small but wants a CT scan in 3 months.  Now, I am worried!!  If it's small, why a CT scan in 3 months?  Hate feeling she is not telling me something.
I continue to be ill with GI/abdominal issues.