Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Low GFR, could this be from acute kidney failure 15 years ago?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I have just had a low reading of 39 in a serum GFR. Fifteen years ago, my only child was born 9 weeks premature due to me developing eclampsia and my blood pressure rising dangerously. They hoped after the caesar, my condition would improve but unfortunately it worsened to a stage where I suffered acute renal failure and had to go onto dialysis. After two weeks of dialysis and several rounds of Plasmapheresis, my condition improved and within a month of the birth of my daughter I was released from hospital feeling completely well. A kidney biopsy was done three months later and the results were apparently good, just a small amount of scarring was seen. I was regularly seen for check ups for 12 months and then given the all clear. I have had numerous blood tests over the years for a number of different reasons, my doctors have never mentioned a low GFR until now, this making me believe that it is a new problem. Could this low GFR reading of 39 be from the kidney failure 15 years ago, or would this be signs of new kidney disease, possibly because my kidneys weren't 100% healthy. My GP tells me she wants to think about things for a month and then for me to return to see her then for follow up. I would appreciaite your opinion. Thanks.
well a gfr of 39 is low. Since you did have acute kidney failure before and scarring of the kidneys that is probably the reason and might have caused more scarring of your kidneys now. Tell her to send you to a nephrologist. You need one for sure. They will be able to help you out. They can do tests to see what is going on and you might need another biopsy. I was never told of lower gfr either but I had one. You have to ask sometimes.