Low GFR young adult
I'm a 21 year old female. I'm in good shape (5'7; 120lbs) and am fairly healthy. I have no health problems besides a slightly higher than normal heart rate (100-115bmp) which my cardiologist describes as adequate for me. I recently had blood work done. My GFR was around 58 and my BP was 142/84 (usually 110/76). I've been a vegetarian for about 3 1/2 years now and feel like my diet is better than most. I'm basically wondering if my diet could cause a low GFR and if I should be concerned about this?
not to highjack this thread but I have a similar situation/question.
I'm a 26 y/o W/F my GFR is 75 (online research puts me at stage 2 CKD-not sure if that's accurate) I have been a vegitarian for more than 20 yrs, but I do like the unhealthy foods too. I have borderline cholesterol and good blood pressure. The doctor ordered the GFR in response to discovering an overly high blood calcium/low vit. d combo. My doc however has been sent to Iraq as of the current time so I'm without a PCP.

Is my GFR # of concern, and what exactly does it mean?
Thanks!
alot of vegetarians eat ALOT of soy and soy is a protein.  Too much protein is bad for the kidneys.  I would suggest talking to your doctor about it.  Also, read the labels on the food you buy, you will be surprised at how much soy is in alot of stuff you wouldnt even think it would be in..   Hope this helps