Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Low GFR

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Low GFR

Hi!  I'm new to this forum and have a question for you.  I just had a complete blood workup done and everything was great except my GFR was only 55 and was flagged.  I'm curious what could cause this and if I should be worried.  This is the first time it has been low.  I am on medicine for high cholesterol and high blood pressure.  Thank you for your help.

Louise
How old are you if I may ask? This sounds like to me a case of CRF to me due to high blood pressure. Did you have a urine test at the same time? Was it normal? Any protein?
Hi, for most patients, a GFR over 60 ml/min is adequate. But, if the GFR has significantly declined from a previous test result, this can be an early indicator of kidney disease requiring medical intervention. The sooner kidney dysfunction is diagnosed and treated, the greater odds of preserving remaining nephrons, and preventing the need for dialysis.
The normal ranges of GFR, adjusted for body surface area, are:
• Males: 70 ± 14 mL/min/m2

Risk factors for kidney disease include diabetes, high blood pressure, family history, older age, ethnic group.
GFR can increase due to hypoproteinemia because of the reduction in plasma oncotic pressure. GFR can also increase due to constriction of the efferent arteriole but decreases due to constriction of the afferent arteriole.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomerular_filtration_rate

The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) published the Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (K/DOQI) clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease (CKD) and used the MDRD formula to classify kidney disease into five stages ranging from a GFR greater than 90 (Stage 1), GFR 60-89 (Stage 2), GFR 30-59 (Stage 3), GFR 15-29 (Stage 4) and less than 15 cc/min (Stage 5). This classification enables one to determine what level of CKD is present for each individual patient, to define a specific action plan and to easily reference the widely-accepted guidelines of the NKF. A GFR below 60 cc/min may indicate that CKD is present if the level persists for more than three months.

In your case, this could be due to hypertension as prolong uncontrolled hypertension damages kidneys, repeat GFR after 3 months and then co relate
Hi!  Thanks for your replies.  I am 68 years old and am being treated for high blood pressure the last year.  It was averaging about 140/90 so my doctor put me on atenolol.  I had complete blood work done  the end of July and everything was great then the doctor put me on Lisinopril and and had me have a blood test to check my electrolytes to make sure my potassium, etc. was ok and that's when the low GFR showed up.  Could this be caused by the Lisinopril?  I see the doctor today and am quite nervous.  Thanks again for your replies and I'll let you know how I make out at the doctor.
Louise
Hi, I am confused about my blood tests. I am a 47 year old female and for the last few years, my BUN levels are high, CREAT is normal and EGFR is low. What does this mean? Should I see a nephrologist? I've had skin itchiness and rash ever since this started. Also, am getting blood tests for polyneuropathy. Please Help!