Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Low eGFR

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Low eGFR

I am a 32-year old active female (exercise 4 times a week and chase small children everyday!)  I recently went in for a regular physical (I hadn't had one since having my last child).  The dr. called and said I had a slightly low GFR (It was 51) and she wanted to recheck in 3 months.  Recheck showed eGFR of 52.  With that test she also tested my urine.  No protein, no blood.  Low BUN and everything else is smack in the middle of normal.  My BP is 112/67 and always has been this or even lower.

She is sending me to neph. for further workup for my CKD.  Can it really be Stage 3 CKD?  I have no other symptoms other than a low eGFR

Thanks!
Forgot to mention that both times my creatinine was 1.21.

Thanks,

My GFR was 42 when it was discovered I was having some abnormal renal function. It has since gone up to around 50, which is not at all considered serious. Yes. it's lower than it should be, but to say you have Stage 3 CKD is incorrect. And that GFR you were given is just an estimate. If you do a 24 hour urinalysis, your GFR will likely come back higher. Both my nephro and family doc did not seem concerned about my GFR,, I am a 37 yr old healthy female and apparently, there are alot of factors that determine whether or not your GFR is bad. I am fairly healthy and have a lower GFR, so I really would not dwell on this. See a nephrologist for some reassurance.
Thank you for your comment.  It is very reassuring.  I am not normally an anxious person, but this really bothers me.  I went to see a neph. and completed the 24-hour urinalysis which I will get the results next Tuesday.  I agree neither my family doc or the neph seemed overly concerned, but to be told you have 50% kidney function is a little scary!

Thank you for your positive comment.
Wow, my numbers are exactly like yours.  What happened after you saw the neph?

After nearly 6 months of testing and rechecks (and ending up on anxiety medicine worrying about it), the nephrologist did a nuclear renal scan (GloFil) test.  They injected me with a radioactive substance that went straight to my kidneys and CT scanned me every 30 seconds to see how fast it emptied into my bladder.  My GFR came back at 89.  That is quite a difference!  Nearly double what the estimate was.

My 24-hour urinalysis came back fine for creatinine clearance, but low for protein so they went with the nuclear scan.  I am nearly vegetarian and wasn't getting enough protein so that was what that ended up being.

As I mentioned above I excercise quite frequently  (high muscle mass) and I am a very small adult (5 feet tall).  He said that with all those factors that the estimate "must not work" for me.  He released me and said I was fine.  Nothing to worry about.

It was a scary experience but in the end it turned out allright.  I would like to tell you not to worry if all your other numbers are normal, but I know from experience how hard that is!  Best of luck to you.  I hope everything turns out ok.
the concern with a egfr of 52?? depends on numerous factors ie your personal risk factors of CKD, the results of a umber of egfr studies over 12 months, if it is declining etc and of course other symptoms. an egfr of 60 plus can be considered as kidney disease stage 2 IF there are other symptoms. below 60 IS considered stage 3 REGARDLESS of any symptoms, so keep monitoring every 6 months or so. It is not that uncommon to have strage 3 so 30 to 60 with NO symtpoms.  MIne has fallen over 37 points to 53 in 8 months and am symptomatic, however I am high risk and always new this would eventually happen, just not this fast. i have no bladder and wear a urine bag (ileal conduit) so have had hundreds of UTIs - not suprising then.  Dont be mistaken though, under 60 IS considered moderate stage 3 CKDF, WITH NO SYMPTOMS!!!! dont ignore it and keep moitoring egfr
I found this helpful http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/gfr/tab/test