Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Low specific gravity and trace protein... should I be concerned?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low specific gravity and trace protein... should I be concerned?

Hi. I'm a 32-year-old female, mostly in good health although lately I've had some facial flushing which prompted me to visit the doctor. In the course of the visit, I had a blood and urine check-up done that detected a 'trace' amount of protein in my urine, along with an abnormally low specific gravity of <=1.005. Should I be concerned about this?
Related Discussions
774967_tn?1235510939
Proteins are large molecules which help make up our muscles, important parts of our immune system, and many other portions of our bodies. Most proteins are also too large to pass through the filtering system of the kidney. And since they are not supposed to pass into the kidney, there is no mechanism for proteins to be reabsorbed if they make it in there. Therefore, if protein is detected in the urine, it means there is something going on with the filter (called the glomerulus) that is allowing the proteins to pass.

Infections, diseases that only involve these microscopic filters, and diseases which affect the kidney as a whole are all examples of processes that might cause protein in the urine
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...