Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Multicystic Kidney Disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Multicystic Kidney Disease

My son was born with Multicysitc Kidney disease, one kidney consisted of cysts and the other was underdeveloped he passed away after 14 months, what I would like to know I am pregnant again and what is the chance of having another baby born with this disease because I dont know if I can go threw it again.  PS it would be my 3rd pregnancy my daughter is 5 years old very healthy.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Mam, I understand, but genetics testing may help. A prenatal diagnosis of polycystic kidney disease by DNA testing is possible. Evidence showing a linkage between the disease and the DNA markers on chromosome 16 can be obtained in the affected family by linkage analysis and homogeneity testing with families of the linked type. Prenatal diagnosis is performed either by polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Diagnostic results are available by PCR analysis in a few hours and then confirmed by Southern blotting method.

So, please discuss this with your doctor and find out if this testing is possible at an appropriate center.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

It must be the autosomal recessive form of polycystic kidney disease (sometimes called ARPKD), which is much rarer and is often lethal early in life. The signs and symptoms of this condition are usually apparent at birth or in early infancy. Since it is autosomal recessive, both parents will be carriers, but they can occur in the children. So, there is a 25% chance of a baby getting this disease. But this can be monitored and detected.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Good day

I really appreciate your response.
I have contacted my sons doctor ( paedatric neuphrologist) and he has advised me that it was defenitly multicystic kidney disease, as the one kidney had cysts the other had few cysts and was smaller than normal, not linked to polycystic kidney disease.  I do understand the information and research of multicystic kidney disease is limited and we were also advised that there could be a 5-7% chance of it happening again but also not a guarantee because of the limited information/research.  I am currently 10 weeks pregnant it is very stressful not knowing if the same thing could happen I am open to different opions and would like to hear different views and perspectives in this regard.  Please feel free to advise me on any information you might have.  Thanks
Good day

I really appreciate your response.
I have contacted my sons doctor ( paedatric neuphrologist) and he has advised me that it was defenitly multicystic kidney disease, as the one kidney had cysts the other had few cysts and was smaller than normal, not linked to polycystic kidney disease.  I do understand the information and research of multicystic kidney disease is limited and we were also advised that there could be a 5-7% chance of it happening again but also not a guarantee because of the limited information/research.  I am currently 10 weeks pregnant it is very stressful not knowing if the same thing could happen I am open to different opions and would like to hear different views and perspectives in this regard.  Please feel free to advise me on any information you might have.  Thanks .
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you so much I will definetly look into this and really appreciate your feedback...