Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Multicystic Kidney Dysplasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Multicystic Kidney Dysplasia

I have a 3 1/2 month old grandson.  He was born without his right kidney and we recently found out that he has multicystic Kidney dysplasia in his left kidney.  When he was a month old, he was hospitalized with a serious staph infection for two weeks and they have not been able to determine where the infection originated, but he ended up with it in his blood, respiratory and urinary.  My daughter and her husband met with a kidney specialist and were told that they will not do surgery and the only treatment they are recommending at this time is a low dose daily antibiotic to prevent urinary infection, a blood and urine test every 3 months and an ultrasound every 6 months.  Is there anything else they can do and will he be able to develop and live a normal life with this one kidney that has this disease?  He currently weighs 9lbs. 6oz which is small for a 3 month old.  He eats well and overall is a good baby, sleeps through the night and doesn't cry a whole lot.  When he was born he went home at a weight of 4lbs. 12oz.  Any information you could give me would be very appreciated.  Thank You!