Multiple, bilateral simple kidney cysts
Hi, I recently had an abdominal ultrasound as a follow-up to slightly altered liver functions.  The findings of the ultrasound were 2 renal cysts on each kidney, with the largest cyst being 1.2 cm.  The report did not mention the size of the other 3 cysts.  I had no cysts on the liver, pancreas, bladder, etc.  Kidney sizes were normal, and my kidney function tests from recent bloodwork were also normal.  

I am a 35 year old male in otherwise healthy condition.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to my primary care doctor or any urologist or nefrologist for their opinions.  The person that conducted the exam didn't give me much information at all, other than to say the cysts were likely filled with liquid and are simple.  She said not to worry.

I searched the internet and there is a lot of information regarding polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and other diseases of benign renal cyst formations, and the information that I read seems to suggest that a finding like mine would be diagnosed as PKD.  I don't know my family history unfortunately, but my father did have kidney stone problems and lived mostly with one working kidney (but my understanding was that his unilateral kidney failure was due to heavy smoking and repeated kidney stone episodes).  

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I won't be able to see a urologist or a nefrologist for at least 6 months. Should I be concerned with these findings?  Do I likely have PKD?  

Thanks in advance.  
How  are you? I understand your concern regarding your ultrasound findings. Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is indeed usually passed down through families and may present with other symptoms such as abdominal pain or tenderness, blood in the urine, excessive urination at night, flank pain on one or both sides, joint pain and nail abnormalities. There is also enlarged liver present as well as high blood pressure. If the results of your ultrasound showed normal liver, no known family history and there are no other co-morbid conditions present, it is unlikely that PKD is present. However, for proper evaluation, it is best that you discuss the results with your doctor also. Direct clinical examination is important.  Take care and do keep us posted.