Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
My best friend's kidney is failing - help I need information

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I just found out my best friend's kidney is failing. He tells me he recently has found blood in his semen and that peeing is a challenge. The first diagnoses of the doctor is that he has a urinal infection. Now their saying that one of his kidneys is failing and that his body will now continue to fall apart and that he's expected to live three years before death. He's also telling me that he has a rare blood type (AB positive I think) and that the only potential donner is his dirt bag *%#$ing older brother and I don't say this because he refuses to save his only brother. I am not a doctor and I know nothing about this. He is bleak as hell and there's nothing I can do at present. Help - I need any information I can get whether it concerns the reliability of the test (obviously he will be seeking a second opinion) or  what the chances are that this could be something else as well as the donner process and his chances of finding a match.
Always get a second opinion.  I don't know what kind of a doctor that is, but kidney failure can come from a number of different disorders -- did he say what EXACTLY why it was failing?  

If it does come back that he needs a transplant, there's never ONLY one potential donor.  There is a greater chance that a family member will be a match, but there are others out there, too, who might end up being matches.  You don't have to go out into the world and find a match yourself, they have waiting lists for this stuff -- the doctor will just have to let him know when he will be eligible to go on that list.

Oh, and in the meantime, while he's waiting for a kidney, he could go on dialysis.  There are two main types of dialysis -- hemo dialysis (where your blood is filtered through a machine), and peritoneal dialysis (where bad fluid is taken off, good fluid is put back on, and the 'bad stuff' is filtered through the peritoneum).  Both of these have different schedules and can be done at home, though hemo is most usually done at a clinic.  Both of these methods are like artificial kidneys, and will restore a small amount of function until a donor is found.

Dialysis can be harsh on the body.  Once a kidney is found, some of the anti-rejection drugs sometimes required can be super harsh on the body.  But it's not all that bleak.  My father's kidney started failing 20 years ago, and he's still alive, and has worked full time until 2 weeks ago.

I hope the best for your friend.