Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
My husband is stage 4, almost 5

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My husband is stage 4, almost 5

My husband does not want dialysis.  He is now in a nursing home, He fell on me a yr. ago and broke my foot.  He wants to come home.  I think I can handle it, and, I would like him to come home as I miss him and he misses me.

They say he probably can not have hospice, probably.  His creatinine was 4.54 and GFR 12 two weeks ago.  He now has a  UTI and is on antibiotic for same.  He was on antibiotics several months ago for pneumonia.That is harmful to the kidneys, is it not?  He only has one kidney, the other has simply disappeared from lack of blood supply due to blocked renal artery.

He has a balance problem and someone has to be with him with a chair behind him when he walks with the walker.

I am just wondering why the social worker thinks that he can't have hospice.
Tags: stage 4 doesn't want dialysis
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Hospice is a nursing home for the care of dying or incurably ill. It offers a home for the care of terminally or seriously ill patient. The prognosis entirely depends on the patient available treatment options. The main treatments for his condition are dialysis, or transplant which he is not opting for. With stage 4 renal disease and no dialysis the life expectancy of your husband is reduced. You should have a frank discussion with the medical social worker. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and regards!