Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Nephropexy, severe post surgery pain. Why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hi. I had surgery about 6 mos ago, Nephropexy.  My pre-surgery state was pretty good, not much pain at all, and no symptoms to speak of. I had some flank pain on my rt side when I stood for too long or did an excessive amount of walking, but nothing needing medication. I was feeling a bulge for a number of years in my right side and had no idea what it was, my first thought was cancer. I had several scans that all came back negative, and saw every specialist know to man. I was finally referred to the operating Md who happen to know exactly what it was the moment he felt it. He ordered an IVP and before I knew it I was in surgery. Within 2 appts of meeting him I was being operated on. Now I am 6 months post-surgery and in the most pain I have ever been in in my life. Why? I have a sharp stabbing pain in my lower right side with every breath I take, laugh and word I speak. I can't sleep at night because of the amount of pressure I feel in my abdomen. The pain in my back is so severe it causes weakness in my right arm. I am on 10 different medications now, all to help manage my pain, but none of which help. We just had a baby 15 months ago and I need someone here at all times to help me with him b/c I can't chase him or lift him. I was told by a second Urologist that she would not have done the surgery to begin with b/c my symptoms were not severe enough. She also believes that the surgeon either placed the kidney on a bundle of nerves during the surgery or the clips are slightly off. We can not get a straight answer b/c the Md's don't want to hurt the other ones reputation. All we want are answers so that I can get the proper treatment. I am 31 years old, married, with 4 children and very active, or at least was.  My quality of life has changed, and I want it back. What happened to me? The Md's will not diagnose me, the just keep treating me with new medication and sending me to new specialists. Can anyone give us answers or an idea. Maybe questions to ask the Md? I have a pain clinic appt next week and an appt with the third urologist since the surgery. No scans have been done or test to find the problem. We would really appreciate any advice.