Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Nodules & cysts on pole region of kidneys

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I just found out about Nodules & cysts on my kidneys on an MRI that was taken last march. Apparently my Dr. is not concerned enough to talk to me about it. In fact hes ignored it for all these months. Needless to say I am worried! Especially since I have had bad back pain... and have complained of pain like a band around my middle section for several years now. I will retype just the first paragraph for you to see and to help me ascertain weather I should see a Kidney specialist or not.
There is a hyperintense T2 weighted nodule involving the lower pole region of the left kidney partially visualized on this exam measuring 2cm in size. This may be related to renal cyst. Small 5 mm sized cyst is also suspected involving the right kidney. There is an additional 5mm sized cyst is also suspected involving the right kidney. There is an additional mm sized cyst also suspected involving the mid pole region of the right kidney anteriorly.
#4 on the list of things on this MRI report - Bilateral renal nodules likely related to multiple renal cyst's.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Understand your predicament.
Simple kidney cysts are more common as people age. An estimated 25 percent of people 40 years of age and 50 percent of people 50 years of age have simple kidney cysts.

Treatment is not needed for simple kidney cysts that do not cause any symptoms. Simple kidney cysts may be monitored with periodic ultrasounds. Simple kidney cysts that are causing symptoms or blocking the flow of blood or urine through the kidney may need to be treated using a procedure called sclerotherapy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to reply.  I appreciate it very much. If you would be so kind as , I  would be forever appreciative.... Could the same be said for the Nodules? Are nodules the same as cysts? If there is a difference, could you please elaborate? Ive tried to find my answer on the web searches to no avail.
At least twice a week my skin turns very yellow but, of course never when Im at the Dr.'s! lol thats always the way isn't it. lol
I also have Dercum's Disease, and Diabetes, IBS, irritable bowel & bladder...and extremely low vitamin problems that include; vitamin D, Potassium, Folic acid, Calcium. I take supplements for all of these by prescription. Could any or all of these problems also be a reason for the cysts & nodules?
And of course I'm in my mid 50's.
My mid to upper back just absolutely kills me after just a few minutes of being active... to the point that it takes me too my knees or sometimes close to passing out from the pain.
These were found in an MRI for my mid to upper back so, shouldn't my Dr check them out further by ordering a CT or MRI of the cysts & nodules themselves?
Thanks so much for any and all information you could provide.
Have a great weekend!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

A nodule is usually a solid structure and a cyst has fluid. A cyst over time may not contain clear fluid and may appear like a nodule. If at present you do not have any symptoms of kidney disease, like decreased urination, painful urination and if your kidney functions are normal, then the next course of action would be to wait and watch and monitor for changes in the cyst or nodule size.

Now, for correlating your abdominal pain with the cyst or nodule, the pain could be due to infection of the kidneys, in which case the urine analysis would provide an indication. Also, the pain could also be due to renal stone, here too the urine analysis would provide an indication and the stone will be visible in imaging studies. As for other causes for the pain, the type of pain described by you is more consistent with a mechanical back pain which could be due to a  herniated disc. Check with your doctor to rule out this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks you very much for the information you have provided. Its very much appreciated.
My wife has sarcoid in the lungs and in her eye,She just found out she has a lot of nodules in her kidneys. She complains of back pain and extreme bloating and inflammation to the mid section.Gains about 5 pounds for no apparent reason just for taking a glass of water with meds. doctors are not concerned they say that's normal having nodules at her age. What do you think. Thank you for at least reading this
Fare Thee Well
concened husband spiros