Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
PKD and vitamin D deficiency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

PKD and vitamin D deficiency

Is it possible for my PKD to be a factor in my severe vitamin D deficiency even if my kidneys seem to be working fine? I just left a message with my PCP asking if maybe it'd be a good idea to check my kidney function, as I haven't in a few years. Also, my BP was higher than normal when I went to the doctor the Fri before last. Since the kidneys generally help to stabilize BP and to convert D3 & D2 into usable vit D for the body, does it make sense to have them checked? Also, is it normal to have updated ultrasounds on the kidneys and liver? I haven't had one since I was 30 (turning 40 next month).
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
The common causes of vitamin D deficiency are chronic kidney disease, hypoparathyroidism, severe liver disease etc.In PKD there may be osteomalacia and vitamin D deficiency. A common complication of polycystic kidney disease is high blood pressure. Kidney failure is another complication. It may be best to get an evaluation done. A clinical examination and work up like ultrasound kidney, ureter bladder, and kidney function tests, vitamin D levels and calcium may be done. Treatment will depend on the cause. Do write to me again with more queries.
Best luck and regards!
Thank you, Dr. Sharma!
I'm also hypothyroid, which has been more or less under control since I was diagnosed with it at age 5. I only found out about the PKD when I had an ultrasound at 30, since my dad had it (he died last July after being on dialysis for 17 years; he had a massive stroke, and his body just couldn't tolerate dialysis any more). I have an appt. with a nephrologist on Feb 19th and some lab tests to take before that. I'll be sure to write again if (or rather when) I have more questions. Thanks again!