Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
PROTEIN & BLOOD IN URINE IN A 6 YEAR OLD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My daughter was diagnosed with hematuria almost two years ago.  She has had her urine checked monthly since then, and a few different times she had crystals in her urine.  The crystals have been gone now for several months, but three months ago the nephrologist found protein in her urine as well.  I was told that if my daughter ONLY had blood in her urine, or ONLY had protein in her urine, that she would be okay...but now because BOTH are present he is concerned.  She had a renal ultrasound done, and her kidneys appear to be normal sized with no masses on them.  She was tested for autoimmune disease, and was cleared.  I'm told that all her bloodwork is normal.  She has no symptoms of anything, she looks to be a very healthy and vibrant little girl.  The nephrologist says if when we go back for the urine check next month that if the blood and protein are still present he wants to do a biopsy.  

Now my question is, is he checking for kidney cancer, or kidney failure?  Are they one in the same?  If my daughter did in fact have kidney cancer, wouldn't it show up in her bloodwork and/or the renal ultrasound?  Is kidney failure the only possibility at this point??  The doctor says he doesn't see anything acute going on, and that she was not born with any birth defect, but I don't know what else could possibly be going on.

What can I expect from here??

My Nephrologist ordered my biopsy specifically to check for IgAN (IgA Nephropathy) due to consistently irregular urinalysis results (protein in urine). From my understanding, unless symptoms are very mild a biopsy is truly the only way a diagnosis can be made (for my type of disease). I am just learning about it, or I'd try to explain more - so I will just say what I know.

For what it's worth, my ultrasound and CT scans have always been normal so I was rather confused by this entire process.

As with the biopsy, I had a pretty solid amount of discomfort. They also kept me 24 hours for observation to make sure there was no internal bleeding from the biopsy. Hopefully they're better with kids, because I wasn't offered so much as a tylenol for pain. It wasn't bad enough to require narcotics, but I could see it may be a bit more uncomfortable for a child.

I hope things work out well for your daughter. Hopefully it's something she will grow out of.  I just wanted to give you feedback on my experience, my doctor never suspected cancer and told me a biopsy was the only 'real' method for diagnosis. They're not fun, but it's probably a good thing he's doing it because apparently not everything can be picked up on scans.