Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Pain in back and abdomen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Pain in back and abdomen

Last Friday I had a pain in my lower abdomen. Initially I thought it's because of gas and ignored it. On Saturday the pain rose to my upper abdomen and stayed there. It was slight pain and didn't bother me much except for the fact that I lost my appetite. On Sunday evening the pain increased quite a bit. Thinking that it could be my appendix, I ran to the Emergency in a hospital. There they did blood and urine test. It wasn't appendix. However, they found quite an elevated quantity (173) of creatinine in my blood, some protein in my urine and also slightly high bilirubin. They did an ultrasonography of my entire stomach but couldn't find anything wrong with any organ. However, the results of the test suggested that my kidney isn't functioning properly. To flush out the kidney, they gave me 2 litres of infusion and some pain killer. The next day the pain spread all the way to my back. I couldn't bear anymore and took two pills of Ibuprofen 400, which was the only painkiller I had at home. That reduced the pain a lot. However, when I told that to my doc, he got furious and told me that Ibuprofen is like a poison to my kidneys and I should not take it no matter what happens. Instead, he suggested Zaldiar. Last night the pain started again. So I took two pills of Zaldiar. It's very strong and made me quite drowsy. However, it didn't ease out the pain. Also I read in the box that these pills should not be taken by people who has problems with their kidneys. So now I am kind of lost. Tomorrow I have another appointment with the doc but I have a feeling that they don't have any clue either. As of now, I am dealing with the pain and consuming as much water as possible. I'm also throwing up from time to time. I had a perfectly healthy lifestyle - I eat a good mix of veggies and meat, run and workout three times a week, no drugs, I avoid all kinds of medicines as much as possible. I drink alcohol, but only socially. I don't have any history of kidney diseases in my family. I am 34 years old, male, 190 cms tall and weigh 81 kgs. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

This could be renal colic. Small stones can obstruct the passage of urine and when the body tries to 'push' against the blockade this results in colic, which is severe attacks of pain. The stone can sometimes be missed by an ultrasonography or it may have passed through. The other causes for the pain could be Pyelonephritis (infection of the kidneys) and Glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), here you are likely to have fever. An Intravenous pyelogram and a CT scan may give further information.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.