Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Pain in left flank area- questions to ask doctor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Pain in left flank area

I've been having pain in the left flank area since May of this year (2012). I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor felt I had a kidney infection (I had a urine test and was put on antibiotics). When I followed up with my own GP, he dismissed that assessment and stated I simply had back pain, as a second urine test came out normal. The pain subsided but the constant need to urinate remained.  About three weeks ago, I had tremendous pain in my left flank area again. I figured this return in pain wasn't anything and tried to ignore it. But after three days, I decided to go to the doctors again. I went for an x-ray and a 2.3 calcified density was noticed. A CT scan was suggested. However the CT scan, which was ordered a week later, showed I was normal. Could I have passed the stone?  But I still get waves of pain? I still urinate constantly and it often burns. I will be seeing my doctor in a few days to go over the results. Any suggestions on what to ask about or what it could be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As stones are not detected, the pain could be due to a recurring urinary tract infection. Am hoping Diabetes has been ruled out. have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear urinary tract infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.