Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Pain on opposite side of Lithotripsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Pain on opposite side of Lithotripsy

Yesterday I had my 9th lithotripsy. It was the second shock treatment on my right side to break up a 10mm stone. I had some typical pain on my right flank & abdomen yesterday afterward but I've got no visible blood in my urine & haven't passed any fragments despite drinking tons of water. Today I have the typical kidney pain on my left side (which is NOT the side I had the litho on). The pain is pretty intense & not relieved by 10mg of Toradol. I also have nausea but no vomiting.   I do have a 8.7mm stone in the left kidney & there is a plan to litho the left kidney sometime soon. I have a horseshoe kidney, so my kidneys are not completely severed. I've never had a litho give me pain on the opposite side before. Can litho on one kidney cause pain in the other kidney? Can litho on one kidney cause a stone in the other kidney  to move or begin passing?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Its unlikely that lithotripsy done on one kidney can affect the other kidney. But as it is a horseshoe kidney, the lithotripsy waves may have affected the stone in the left kidney. That may be causing the pain in the left flank. But please check with your doctor, he may ask for imaging studies to confirm this.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.