Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Pelvic Kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Pelvic Kidney

I was told that I was born with one kidney and it is a pelvic kidney. The kidney is right above the bladder. The uroloigist said that the ureter isn't long enough to move the kidney back to where it belongs.  Anyway, I have a lot of pain in my pelvic area and it is very painful to have intercourse most of the time. I was just wondering if this is normal?
If a kidney does not ascend as it should in normal childhood development it remains in the pelvic area and is called a pelvic kidney, ectopic kidney or a pancake kidney. Often the person with a pelvic kidney will go through their whole life not even knowing they have this condition, unless complications arise later in life for this or a completely different reason, and during investigations the condition is diagnosed. Not a harmful condition generally but can develop complications.
Have you always had the pain or is it a new development?Painful intercourse is called dyspaerunia and the most common causes are innfections of the genital tract or Vaginismus: i.e. painful involuntary contraction of vaginal introitus (opening).
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_kidney
The pain started back in 1992 after I had my first child.  It isn't only when I have intercourse. It just comes and goes. It can last anywhere from an hour to a couple of days. It isn't any kind of infection. I have went to the E.R. when I was having this pain and they do a pelvic exam and blood tests and urine tests and sometimes they all come back normal and the other times I have a UTI. Anyway, I have went to a urologist and had an IVP and an Ultrasound done on my Kidney and he said that it is functioning like it should but noone can explain why I have this pain all of the time.