Pelvic Kidney
I was told that I was born with one kidney and it is a pelvic kidney. The kidney is right above the bladder. The uroloigist said that the ureter isn't long enough to move the kidney back to where it belongs.  Anyway, I have a lot of pain in my pelvic area and it is very painful to have intercourse most of the time. I was just wondering if this is normal?
If a kidney does not ascend as it should in normal childhood development it remains in the pelvic area and is called a pelvic kidney, ectopic kidney or a pancake kidney. Often the person with a pelvic kidney will go through their whole life not even knowing they have this condition, unless complications arise later in life for this or a completely different reason, and during investigations the condition is diagnosed. Not a harmful condition generally but can develop complications.
Have you always had the pain or is it a new development?Painful intercourse is called dyspaerunia and the most common causes are innfections of the genital tract or Vaginismus: i.e. painful involuntary contraction of vaginal introitus (opening).
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_kidney
The pain started back in 1992 after I had my first child.  It isn't only when I have intercourse. It just comes and goes. It can last anywhere from an hour to a couple of days. It isn't any kind of infection. I have went to the E.R. when I was having this pain and they do a pelvic exam and blood tests and urine tests and sometimes they all come back normal and the other times I have a UTI. Anyway, I have went to a urologist and had an IVP and an Ultrasound done on my Kidney and he said that it is functioning like it should but noone can explain why I have this pain all of the time.
My boyfriend has the same problem.  With him, he notices pain when he does something physically strenuous.  Normal exercises, for example, dont trigger the pain.  I dont know how the stress on your body from childbearing would compare with the physical stress of construction work.   My friend also cant find any doctor who will give him an option for the pain.