Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Post-Lithotripsy Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Post-Lithotripsy Problems

I am 45 yr old male with a history of kidney stones, both personally and in my family history.  I've had 3 bouts with stones(calcium) over the past 8-10 years.  The first two times the stones passed naturally, with emergency room visits.  The third time I had stones, was in the beginning of 2007.  My urologist said the stone was 1.2cm and was in a section of my kidney where it would never pass naturally.  He suggested the Lithotripsy, which was done in March 2007.  Two days after the Lithotripsy I had what my doctor called the "cobblestone effect".  The pieces of smashed stones had lined up in my bladder and were stuck.  It was extremely painful and I was prescribed pain killers and flomax.  Within 24hrs of taking the flomax, I passed 13 seed sized stone fragments and thought I was done.  In a few days, I began to have pain when urinating and after urinating.  Sometimes it felt like a scraping sensation, sometimes it felt like something was stuck, at times a burning sensation, but it was always there and in varying degrees of severity.  For the first few months my urologist said the pain was from passing the residual amount of sand and stone.  After about 6 months, when the pain did not end, my doctor was telling now telling me the pain was from the wear and tear of passing so much gravel, that my system was "spastic" and it would eventually go way.  Well, it never has!  To this day, I have pain from urinating,  These days it is mostly 5-10 minutes after I urinate, both it does occasionall sting while urinating.  It still feels like a scraping, itching feeling, at times like I am passing glass.  I have been CT's and MRI'd from kidney to the tip of the penis.  There are no stuck pieces or anything that can be seen.  Any ideas??