Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Pot and Anti rejection medicine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Pot and Anti rejection medicine

On New Year's Eve I smoked pot for the first time. I'm 17 years old and have had two kidney transplants. I take my medicine every day twice a day. How much damage did I do my kidney by smoking?
Interesting question. In our state we have medical marijuana available but even so, I believe folks who use it are bumped off the transplant list. In your case, you already have the transplant done and are on anti-rejection meds. I don't know if marijuana will interfere with those medications.

The other question is about the source of the marijuana. Can you be sure it is clean, not laced with junk or contaminated with a fungus that could cause aspergillosis (fungal infection of the lungs, occasional spreading to other areas). Kind of risky overall.
I didn't know till after the fact the pot was laced with meth. Am I gonna be okay? Will my kidney fail?
I have no way to predict that. Are you having regular check ups with your doctor, having kidney function tested on a regular basis? The hard part would be to come clean with your doctors, let them know you had an evening of recreational drug use. They can then check the status of your kidneys.

Again, (I know I sound like a mother hen here) recreational drug use is risky for anyone but in your case, it's just not worth it. You're very young and have many years ahead of you. There are a lot of options out there for having fun.
It's been 4 years since my second transplant and my kidney works great. I have blood work done very two weeks and see my doctor ever 3-4 months.

I go here soon to see my doctor telling him won't be no where near as hard as telling my mom. She's the one that gave me the kidney
Well, that is awkward. At this point see what your doctor says, see how the kidney is doing now. Whether you decide to tell your mom is your choice. I do hope you won't make this mistake again. Celebrate life, don't squash it. I admire young people and their energy. Here's wishing you many more years of life, laughter and joy.
Don't worry I m sure ur reports would be fine.     My sister too had her kidney transplant last year .        Just make sure that from nxt time avoid smoking cause it's very harmful for kidney.     I would like add up something I m 16 and my elder brother and sister has kidney disease .   My sister is doing fine and my mother was the doner.    My brother passed in 2009 as we were too late for his transplant.    So thank god tat he has given u a chance .             Take my advice and start having nutritious diet and never forget to take ur medicines on time.        Good luck u will be fine :)