Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Producing Urine during Kidney Dialysis, does it mean it is recovering?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My uncle was diagnosed of a kidney failure last year, his Creatinine Level was about 1400+ and was diagnosed as Acute Kidney Failure, Glomerulonephritis.  

Since then he has been undergoing Kidney Dialysis twice a week for almost 6 months now. but when he's at home he was still able to produce Urine which is yellow in color. Is it natural to produce Urine? Is this a sign that he could recover his full Kidney function?

Also he has a swollen feet when he is at home. What does it mean?

Thanks for any info you can give!

As far as the swollen feet, that means he is retaining fluids.  I had gained about 30 pounds of fluids when I was in the hospital.  With dialysis, they filter out the creatinine but also have the means to remove fluids from the body.  With time, I would expect the swelling to reduce.
ACUTE Kidney failure is recoverable, depending on circumstances.  I have chronic kidney disease stage 3 and been in stage 3 for several years. Just over two months ago I fell and broke 5 ribs. Two days later my urine turned brown and knew right away my kidneys were in trouble. I got my self up to ER right away (via ambulance/911) and caught it early.

I had to spend a few days in the hospital but got my kidneys back into gear and my eGFR last week was up to 43. Nothing great but still a cushion before ESRD.

Gomer
Thanks for answering.

My uncle has been in Dialysis for about 6 Months. Since then he was still able to produce Urine a few hours after drinking a small glass of water, the color of his Urine is Yellow.

So the question, is this a sign that his Kidney is slowly recovering or is it only natural to produce Urine even under Dialysis?
The urine production is encouraging, but the kidneys need to filter out the creatinine.  Ask your uncle how his creatinine levels are.  With dialysis, the nephrologists will see spikes in the creatinine between treatments.  If his kidneys recover, the creatinine levels will eventually level out and may result in not needing dialysis.  

A huge plus to his urinating is that he probably won't need to use a catheter to use the restroom.  I found that the most uncomfortable part of my stay in the hospital with renal failure.
Thanks for the info!