Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Protein in Urine... please help if you can

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I would really appreciated if someone can help me.
I recently had my yearly physical and they found protein in my urine.  the results are 2+.  Is this considered and abnormally high result?  when the doctor called me he told me that it was a trace and when i got my results in the mail it said 2+.  Is 2+ consider abnormally high?  I guess them want to do a micoalbumin test.  I called back and talked to the nurse and she told me it was just a trace of protein but everything i read online says its high :(
can someone please explain my test results?  should i be concerned?  been to every pharmacy looking for protein test strips :( cant find any.  My urine test was done at a labratory not in the doctors office.  please help if you can
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The analysis does show proteinuria. The common causes for protein in the urine are infections of the kidney/bladder, disorders of the kidney/bladder, certain disorders like diabetes, strenuous exercise and certain medications. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor. He may do tests like urine analysis for microalbinuria, blood tests, X rays, ultrasonography, CT scan and sometimes cystoscopy to detect the cause for proteinuria.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.