Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Proteinaceous Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Proteinaceous Cyst

I am a 25 year old with occasional pulsating sensations and frequent pain from my left side and back. I was admitted to the emergency room twice last year for horrible pain in my left side, and upon CT scan they identified only a small "simple appearing" renal cyst. A month later I had an ultrasound for the same pain which stated that the renal cyst could not be classified as simple and might represent a proteinaceous cyst and follow-up MRI was recommended. An MRI could not clearly identifty the mass, but said it was compatable with a proteinaceous cyst. This year at a follow-up ultrasound the cyst appeared to be smaller. They could see enhancement and tiny calcifications. The day after the ultrasound I had intense pain, weakness, fatigue, and a low grade fever (about 99 to 100 degrees). Does this mean that the cyst is leaking? If so aren't potentially cancerous cells spreading? My doctor seems to think everything is in my head and it is nothing to worry about, but I want to have children soon and I am worried about what could happen if it bursts. Is it worth it to remove it?