Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Proteinuria

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Proteinuria

Hi, I'm a 25 yr old female and I have a question about protein in my urine. Since I was 18 I've had protein show up on and off in my urine. It's ranged from +1 to none. I've currently don't have insurance so I haven't been checked out by a doctor in a few years but I do get blood work done every year through a health clinic. My last blood work was done a year ago and all my lab work was normal. My creatinine was 0.9 BUN 13, however the year before my creatinine was 0.6 and BUN 14. I know the levels are normal but I thought an increase from 0.6 to 0.9 was a big jump. I might just be freaking out because I have known to have protein in my urine but my doctor at the time just wanted to keep an eye on it and I haven't had any additional tests done. Lately, I've noticed my urine being foamy more often. Should I get this further evaluated?!
I am going through the same problem but mine started in 09 every urine i had done has come out positive for protein in the urine and now im being referred  to a kidney specialist kindof nervous but i hear its best to treat whatever it is sooner before it turns worse but just simple things could cause protein like stress excersise dehydration foamy cloudy urine is a sign of protein drink alot of water and u should notice it clear up but do go rechecked kidneys are nothing to mess around with we need them to survive take care its probably nothing
My son is 19 years old.He has had small traces of protein in his urine since 2008.When questioned about the protein his doctor said that it was nothing to worry about.Three weeks ago we took our son to a new doctor and she said he needed to see a kidney doctor.We took him to see kidney doc on 02/16/2011 and was told our son has stage 2 kidney disease.We are still trying to process it all.The doctor scheduled an ultrasound for 03/31/2011 and said that my son will need a biopsy soon after the ultrasound.My husband and I are completely devastated because we thought the protein was a result of having high blood pressure.W now know that maybe his kidney problem is whats causing the elevated blood pressure.We have a lot of test and doctors visits coming up to try to sort all of this out.Yes,you should be evaluated soon as possible.I will post updates for you as they become available.
Any updates guys please?? I'm losing muscle mass rapidly with proteinuria
As long as one of the barriers is impaired or damaged, protein will leak into urine and thus form proteinuria. For people with Nephrotic Syndrome, large amounts of protein spill and into urine just because of damaged glomerular filtration membrane. Without effective charge barrier and mechanical barrier, glomerular filtration membrane can not stop protein passing through. In this light, we can know that repairing damaged glomerular filtration membrane and improving charge barrier and mechanical barrier can help to stop spilling protein in urine effectively.
http://www.kidney-cares.org/nephrotic-syndrome-symptoms-complications/1001.html