Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Recent kidney stone blasted...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Recent kidney stone blasted...

I just had a kidney stone 3/4" in diameter, blasted. It was the worst pain I have ever had. They had to put a stent in so all the dissolved stones could more easily move out. Now I have to have the other side done. I just was wondering if anyone has had stones blasted and is this a good way to get rid of stones? I would love to hear other's thoughts on this subject. Thanks
Avatar dr f tn

What you had was extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy,is this correct?

" The American Urological Association Stone Guidelines Panel has classified ESWL as a potential first-line treatment for ureteral and renal stones smaller than 2 cm."

"Indications for ESWL include the following:

Individuals who work in professions in which unexpected symptoms of stone passage may prompt dangerous situations (eg, pilots, military personnel, physicians) (In such individuals, definitive management is preferred to prevent adverse outcomes.)

Individuals with solitary kidneys in whom attempted conservative management and spontaneous passage of the stone may lead to an anuric state

Patients with hypertension, diabetes, or other medical conditions that predispose to renal insufficiency".

Source:http://www.emedicine.com/med/TOPIC3024.HTM

In your case,the stone is smaller than 1cm.The success of the treatment apparently is influenced by the type of stone, stone size and where the stone is located in case this is a ureteral stone. You may check the ff url for further reading:

http://www.touchbriefings.com/pdf/790/macaluso.pdf