Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease
I have just been diagnosed with Stage 3 chronic kidney disease. I am still trying to digest my diagnosis. How did you come to terms with being diagnosed? What advice would you give someone new to this? I am in the process of changing my diet but it takes a lot of learning to do this.
bump
Need more info...
whats your GFR? Creatinine? Protein in urine? etc
My GFR is 50-54 so the high end of stage three. I don't know the creatinine or protein in the urine. I was really nervous and forgot to ask. My potassium, phosporous and calcium were all within the normal range.
I understand you're nervous, try and calm down :)

A few questions for you...

1) How old are you?
2) Whats your blood pressure like?
3) Any kidney disease in your family?
4) What prompted you to get your GFR tested in the 1st place? Was it part of your yearly check up?
I am 37
My blood pressure is fine 110/70
No known kidney disease in my family.
I was prompted to get tested because I only have one kidney due to botched kidney surgery to remove part of an infected duplex (two kidney's joined together instead of one) kidney. Instead of just removing the infected part they knicked an artery and killed the whole kidney. I thought I should get tested just to make sure the remaining one was still okay. My doctor thought I was being a bit dramatic but did the test anyway.

What scares me is that I know after the surgery they did a GFR and it was normal, and the surgery was 8 years ago. That means I have lost approximately 50% function in 8 years. That is a pretty quick decline.

I have no risk factors for kidney disease. My weight is normal, no diabetes, no reflux. It just isn't working right and they don't know why.
What about your urine volume ?
According to the conditions you presented, that surgenry counts for much since you seem to be in healthy habits. Maybe some kind of antigen was brought into your left kidney and planted itself on the  renal basement membrances. As time went, it gradually caused infection and symptoms emerged, kidney function decreased.
When GFR declines, the creatinine will no doubt increase for the kidney is the only organ to remove it out of body. Proteinuria or / and hematuria probably occur because of the inflammation and damage in kidney.
My urine volume is in the normal range. I never thought about an antigen going into the other kidney but that type of thing would make sense. Now that I know the levels of things to ask about my next appointment (which is in the fall) I'll ask for some more details.

I need to learn so much. Its like a whole new vocabulary. I fell off the wagon the last few days in terms of diet. There is no food in the house. I really need to grocery shop but it is so depressing to pass up my favorite foods. I get angry now when I shop. I know I will get over that, but right now it just seems like so much to take in.
The doctors have not told my father for 3 years that he had kidney disease and I have had to fight to get his kidney function tested recently. That was how I found out. He is now in stage 3.  He has never been given any treatment.
I have one kidney also due to them nicking a ureter during minor surgery, and now they said I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease, I hope you sued your doctor, I am