Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Stage 3 kidney Disase

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Stage 3 kidney Disase

I am 46 years old and was just told I have stage 3 kidney disase   I am scared to death!!  I don't  have high blood pressure, don't smoke or drink.  I am not diabetic.  They are not sure what is causing this to happen.  I need all the support I can get.  I have never been so scared in my life!!!  
Are you seeing a nephrologist? What test did he run to determine you are at stage 3? Did you do a urine test? Are you female or male? There are many test that needs to be ran to double check kidney disease. Some very muscular males have average serum creatinine in blood from 1 to 1.2 and that will be considered normal but would be at stage 2 or 3 kidney disease. Kidney secrete creatinine at a steady rate and when they are damaged creatinine is release slower and stay in the blood. This is why blood test can see a raise is serum creatinine in the blood. To test how much creatinine is being excreted a 24hr urine test is order and measures how much creatinine is excreted. This will give you what is called a creatinine clearance result.

These are the test that should be checked when Kidney disease is suspected.

Blood test

serum creatinine
bun
phosphorus
potassium
glucose
hemoglobin
cholesterol
thyroid

Urine test
24 hr urine
random micro albumin / creatinine
timed specimen urine (usually ran in 24 hr urine)

Ultrasound

measures size of kidney to see if there is any damage. usually if they have shrunk damage has already occur.

When kidneys are damaged protein / albumin is excreted. The higher the protein in mg the faster the progression to End stage renal failure in some Kindey disease. Some Kidney diseases do not excrete protein but still continune to end stage renal failure. You would need a biopsy to see if you carry a kidney disease that is not related to diabetes or high blood pressure. Some of these are FSGS, MCD and PKD.

There are many support group forums for Kidney disease. Also understand Stage 3 is broken into 2 different Stages. There is stage 3A and Stage 3b . If you are in stage 3a you can take decades to progress to Stage 5 / ESRF and not all kidney disease progress.

First line of defense for kidney disease is to stop proteinuria by using a ACE inhibitor or ARB. These lower blood pressure and also help with slowing down protein. There have been many studies that show this combination can slow down the progress of kidney disease. You are your best doctor and always get a copy of your blood and urine results and keep monitoring them. Diet is very important when you have Kidney disease. Diet can help slow down the progression even more. There are many forums that offer substantial amount of help such as Davita Forums and Ihatedialysis forums.

There is a ongoing research project at UCSF do create a artificial kidney so keep your hopes up and never give up.

Good luck