Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Stage 3 kidney disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Stage 3 kidney disease

I had originally posted this in the neuphrotic syndrome forum but probably not the best place so I will repost here. I am a 61 yr. old woman who has been recently diagnosed with this. I also have congestive heart failure and diabetes. Just wanting to know what I can do to improve the kidney function or at least slow the progression of the disease. I have an appt. with a kidney dr. but not for a month yet. Would appreciate all input and your experiences with this. GFR 38 and creatinine 1.4. Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
In stage 3 kidney disease the aim is to keep the kidneys function as long as possible. Dietary management is important. Such patients will be advised a daily protein intake for 0.8 grams per kilogram per day. The intake of phosphorus needs to be restricted to keep healthy range of serum phosphorus and maintain bone health. The patients at stage 3 Chronic Kidney Failure usually don’t need to restrict their intake of potassium unless its blood levels are high. Since you are suffering from Diabetes it is better to limit carbohydrates from your diet. Sodium intake should be limited since you have congestive cardiac failure. Do not use any over the counter dietary supplements without asking your doctor. Working with a renal dietician will be helpful .It is important that you manage your blood pressure, maintain blood glucose, lipids, weight and ensure intake of  vitamins, hormones and minerals. It is advised to visit doctors every 3-6 months, and regularly keep your condition at check.
Keep me posted. Kind regards!
Thank you for replying. I will keep you posted on my visit to the nephrologist. Wish me luck. I'm very anxious about all of this.
Sorry to be getting back to you after all these months. I am maintaining a stage 3 and was on a 3 month regiment of vitamin d and we also eliminated metformin. I take Amaryl now, instead.. My blood glucose was out of control but my PCP put me on Victoza. That seems to be helping with the exception of BS levels being very low in the morning. My PCP has suggested she might take me off the Amaryl and just have me take more insulin along with the Victoza and Januvia. At this point we're experimenting with the meds to see what works better.