Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Stage 4 Kidney Failure with other issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

My Father is currently in a nursing home, he is 63. He has diabetes that is controlled with insulin, maxed out on 4 bp meds to control bp, 5 way bypass, 4 strokes - have caused mobility issues and starting to show signs of demetia, 1 heart attack, seizures and now he has been diagnosed with Stage 4 kidney failure. His BUN is 53, creatinine is 3.2 and GFR is 24. His BUN and creatinine will come down when they push fluids and he has been on a kidney protection med. He will not eat or drink regularly and has lost about 40 pounds in the last 3 months. His primary care Dr says that she is doing all she can for him but he needs to be seen by a Nephrologist right away. We cannot get an appt for 2 months and this is making me crazy...his primary care Dr is trying to get him earlier. He has so many health issues and now this with considering everything else that is wrong with him this was inevitable. I am just curious from experience can anyone speak on prognosis or anything like that until we actually see the dr just wondering what is to come. I am not even sure if it gets to the point of dialysis that my father will even do it...
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament, but please don't worry.
When the GFR falls below 15, it is defined as kidney failure and then dialysis is the option. Until then managing the hypertension, diabetes, bone problems and anemia form the basis of therapy. As he has multiple problems, they need to be monitored like the cardiac status with an EF and the diabetic status with HbA1c. So, if these are adequately controlled, he could go through the dialysis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.