Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Ureter Stent

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Ureter Stent

A week ago I had a hysterectomy.  I had lots of complications and what should have been a 90-min. procedure was a 6-hr long ordeal.  The next morning I felt great, other than a strong, pinching pain on my lower left side and back.  My Dr., while checking on me during her rounds, didn't like the sound of that so she ordered a CT scan.  That showed that my left kidney wasn't functioning and right back into surgery I went.  45-minutes later I came out with a stent in my ureter and I am really foggy as to why...why....why??  The uruologist told me there was a lot of inflammation???  That inflammation had blocked the ureter so he put a stent in for "6-12 weeks".  I have an appt. with him in 10 days, however I've called him 3x to ask him a few questions about this and he hasn't called me back.  It's very, very painful.  I have a day that's great, and then 2 that are filled with this constant, nagging, pinching pain.  I have no problems whatsoever from the hysterectomy.  My question is this....is this common?  To have inflammation from a hysterectomy that would "collapse" my uteter?  And...what does the stent do that in 6-12 weeks I can have it removed?  Will everything be fine then?  How is it possible that the stent can cause the ureter to restabilize?  Can someone please shed some light on this for me?
Hello. I would like to first say I am very sorry for all that you have been through recently. Surgery alone is so scarey, not to mention any complications that may arise. I have bad kidneys and can explain the stents to you. I have been stented many times, and the pain is beyond words.
From what you wrote above, it sounds as the uterus has swelled. The uterus swells and than lays on the ureter and blocks it. Than urine can not come out of the kidney and kidney damage can set in very quickly. Hydronephrosis (kidney fills with fluid) is the name and it is a very painful condition. You can not have a blocked ureter and at this point believe me it would be much more painful without the stent never mind the destruction of the kidney. There may be swelling somewhere else, but I am assuming the uterus is the problem. There is always swelling after surgery.
The best advice I can give is DRINK DRINK DRINK this will relieve lots of the stent pain. Ask your doc. for a perscription for Deterol or Peridum this will also help so much. But drinking is so very important. I have never had a stent that did not hurt and some I have to go in the hospital on morphine they can be so bad (for me).
I am not sure but I would think the swelling complication (that I now see at the bottom of your post lol) is common, due again to the fact that all surgery creates swelling. So to recap, for the next 6-12 weeks, the stents purpose is to keep the ureter open so the urine can flow out and you do not have any destruction of the kidney or infection. If the urine can not come out you will be back in the hospital removing the kidney so thank God for stents.
You will feel much better after the stent is removed, which is a simple process. You will be perfect in 6-12 weeks when the stent is removed. The ureter is not restablizing, it is being kept open to drain the kidney you have no problems with the ureter per: say. BIGGEST POINT >>>>> REMEMBER YOU ARE VERY LUCKY AS THE STENT IS A TEMPORARY THING & DRINK DRINK DRINK IT WILL HELP ALOT.
If I can help in any other way please e-mail me. Feel better soon. Rest and don't worry all will be fine soon. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!  Cara  
PS ..... google >>>> kidney stents

so you can see them yourself and how they work, it is intresting!!
First I would like to say i understand your concerns,I had a robotic assisted hysterectomy on Nov.25th. Immediately when I awoke from surgery I had back pain on my right side. I was told several things,...1.) it's gas, you have to get up and walk around, 2.) you were in a strange position during surgery so it's probably muscular.  Well after 2 weeks of still being in pain, I couldn't take it any more and went back to ER after I was experiencing several days of low grade temps and no relief. I did some research myself and found out I could have possibly had a bladder or kidney infection. After being tested for both they came back negative, the ER dr wanted to give me another Rx for pain and be on my merry way until I insisted on a CT scan or MRI.  After a little reluctance they order CT which revealed my ureter was kinked/blocked which was causing my kidney to swell and hence the PAIN!. I was immediately admitted and scheduled for surgery the next morning to have a stent placed in my ureter. Immediate relief. All is well for 1 week, now I have fluid leaking from my vagina and they have done a cystogram, as well as CT to try and detect a fistula.... All to no avail as they say no fistula is present!!. Where is the leaking coming from????? Anyone with knowledge, please help.