Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Urine a reddish colour +back pain+discomfort in right kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Hi all.This is my first time on here so please bare with me.Im 25 years old,healthy,although previous Crohns disease.About 3 weeks ago i came back from the gym and went to the toilet and noticed that my urine was a funny brown/red colour.I didnt feel ill and it didnt hurt when i passed it.I went to my GP and did a sample, he didnt like the look of it and sent me to hospital.They did blood tests, checked my pulse and all was aboslutely fine.I did another urine sample and it turned back to a normal colour,strange.That happened for another 10 days then completely stopped.Yesterday the urine turned that colour again.Ive also noticed that i have pain in the centre of my back and in my right kidney.Although its more of a discomfort then a pain.I still dont feel ill or had any strange symptons.Ive spoken to doctors but they dont seem worried which really annoys me as i think its something maybe serious.Anyone have any ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

During the second episode,was this also associated with prior exercises?

Was there any previous trauma or injury to the area?

Any associated symptoms like pain in urination, increase in urinary frequency or straining in urination?

Are there any associated problems with sexual rsponse ( erectile and ejaculation problems)?

Do keep us posted with you answers.
Thanks for the reponse Vanessa.I do a lot of exercise, maybe go down the gym about 5 times a week, running 3 miles every time followed by weights.I play squash too and have just started cricket practice which can be a workout in itself.Ive read on the net that people can get a hematuria through too much exercise.Ive had no other symptons which is strange except this pain in the middle of my back.It moves now and again but at the moment is situated to the left of my spine just below my shoulder bone.I have no pain whilst urinating and i go about the same amount as i usually do.Ive also noticed i get what seems like discomforts in my groin and rib area.Feels almost like trapped wind there.Any idea what this could all mean?
Just an update.On Saturday night i came in from a night out with incredible pains in my right groin, right testicle and my right kidney.Could hardly walk and had to call a doctor out at 3am.He checked me out and thought it was kidney stones.But he was surprised when i told him i had a CT Urogram a week ago,he thought that this would have shown any stones that was in my kidneys or uretha.He gave me a huge pain killing injection which eased the pain a lot and has prescribed me pain killers in tablet form along with a muscle relaxant.No stones have passed yet and im slightly worried that the scan showed nothing although it seems i have stones.Does anyone have any insight on this or had similar symptons?Thanks Josh
Seems like your doctor is treating the symptoms -- not the problem.

I have polycystic kidney disease and one of the possible symptoms is blood in the urine if or when a cyst breaks.  The suggested course of treatment is a couple of days of bed rest.  These symptoms can also be caused by a kidney stone which would take longer to pass through your system.  I think that if your pain is that bad, they could have done an MRI on you.  An MRI gives a much clearer picture than other scans and would be able to definitely detect a kidney stone or a cyst.

Have you considered going to the emergency room at your local hospital instead of calling your doctor?  Unless your doctor is sure that it is a kidney stone, he should not be giving you painkillers.