Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
What does Protein in one's urine mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

What does Protein in one's urine mean?

I recently took a 24 hr urine test.  I was told that I showed "some" protein in my urine and that the doctor would recommend me to an endocronologist.  OK, should I be worried??!! What can cause this? Can it be treated? Is there a scale of the amount of protein one should have vs. not have?  Could this also cause reproductive problems?  I watch my diet and exercise.  What could have brought this on?  WHat steps should I now take to take charge of my health?  I appreciate ANY guidence that you can give.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Protein in the urine  or proteinuria can indicate kidney disease.  Low levels of protein in urine are normal especially in younger people after exercise or activity. However, excessive amounts need further evaluation to rule out any problems with the kidneys. Further testing may need to be done to confirm this. Take care and do keep us posted on your consultation with your endocrinologist.  
on june 22nd , 2010 i did a routine urine test with fever where albumin was "TRACE"
on july 10th i did a routine urine test where albumin was "NIL"
on july 26th i did a routine urine test where albumin was "FAINT".
I have to travel for atleast 1hour to my destination & at the end of the day my ankles are swollen which gradually disappear after rest.
on august 28th i woke up in the morning to find my feet,ankles, face & palms swollen.
i rushed to the hospital who asked me to go for a master checkup (20 tests) of heart kidney,lungs,blood, many tests were done.
all my results are excellent except
urine volume 2500 ml , 24 hours ,  125mg/ 24hrs.
urinary proteins 5mg/dl.
now a days my urine is foamy when i drink less water but clear after i drink more water.
but my swelling in ankles is continuing through out the day and on pressing edema is observed because of indentation of finger marks.
all doctors are ignoring me & saying that trace protein is normal but i can feel fluid retention in my ankles & leg when i sit for long time.the legs begin to feel heavy , fatigued & stiff jammed.
i have no other symptom.my serum urea, creatinine,serum protein, albumin & globulin are all normal.
please reply i am very worried.