Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
What is Chronic Renal Disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

What is Chronic Renal Disease?

I received my blood test results today and it states the following:

Test Name - Intact PTH     In Range            Out of Range         Reference Range
                                                                 89 H                     15-65 pg/ml

Intact PTH in relation to Calcium

Intact PTH                       Calcium
Normal Parathyroid Function          Normal                             Normal
Hypoparathyroidism                      Low or Low Normal            Low
Primary Hyperparathyroidism:       Normal or High                   High
Secondary Hyperparathyrodism     High                                 Normal or Low
Tertiary Hyperparathyroidisom       High                                  High
Non-Parathyroid Hypercalcemia:  Low or Low Normal              High

Chronic Renal Disease:
Osteomalacia : typically normal to slightly elevated PTH Level
Osteitis Fibrosa : elevated to markedly to markedly elevated PTH level

Can anyone tell me what this means since I can not get a straight answer from my doctors?
Please if you know of a better place to post this let me know.
Thank you
Dreamer

As I have a similar condition and also could not get straight answers I bought the Merck Manual of Medical Information (ISBN 0-7434-7734-0). The following is an extract from this publication, hope it helps.

Chronic Kidney Failure
Chronic kidney,fuilure, is a slowly progressive decline (mantis to years) in the kidneys' ability to filter metabolic waste from the blood.
Many diseases can irreversibly damage or injure the kidneys. Acute kidney failure can become chronic if kidney function does not recover after treatment. Therefore, anything that can cause acute kidney failure can cause chronic kidney failure. However, the most common cause of chronic kidney failure is diabetes mellitus, followed by high blood pressure (hypertension). Both of these conditions directly harm the kidneys' small blood vessels. Other causes of chronic kidney failure include urinary tract obstruction; kidney abnormalities (such as polycystic kidney disease and glomerulonephritis); and autoimmune disorders (such as systemic lupus erythematosus), in which antibodies damage the tiny blood vessels (glomeruli) and the tiny tubes (tubules) of the kidneys.

Symptoms
Symptoms may develop slowly or evolve from acute kidney failure. A person with mild to moderate kidney failure may have only mild symptoms despite the increase in the levels of urea and other metabolic waste products in the blood. At this stage, the person may need to urinate several times during the night (nocturia), because the kidneys cannot absorb water from the urine to reduce the volume and concentrate it as normally occurs during the night.
As kidney failure progresses and metabolic wastes build up in the blood, the person may feel fatigued and generally weak and may become less mentally alert. These symptoms progress as the blood becomes more acidic, a condition called acidosis. A loss of appetite and shortness of breath can result. Fatigue and generalized weakness may also be attributed in part to a decline in red blood cell production and the resulting anemia. People with chronic kidney failure tend to bruise easily or bleed for an unusually long time after cuts or other injuries. Chronic kidney failure also diminishes the body's ability to fight infections.
As metabolic wastes build up in the blood, damage to muscles and nerves can cause muscle twitches, muscle weakness, cramps, and pain. The person may also feel a pins-and-needles sensation in the arms and legs and may lose sensation in certain areas of the body. Encephalopathy, a condition in which the brain malfunctions, may ensue from the buildup of metabolic waste