Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
What to do about renal stent pain and catheter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Due to a kidney stone my urologist placed a renal stent in my uretur. Prior to the proceedure I inquired about the recovery and was told that some burning and discomfort can be expected but normal daily routine should be no problem.  Upon first urination in the recovery room I had agonizing flank pain to my surprize.  I kept asking if this was normal but could not get a an answer other than some dicomfort can be experienced and people have differnt pain tolerances.  After, each urination I was given Phentinal and eventually the pain would subside.  But, I still could not get what I feel is an honest answer as to weather or not the amount of pain is normal or if it would be like this until the stent was removed.  I understand the stent allowed the urine to back up into the kidney and that causes the pain. I am not sure if the pain, slightly worse that having a kidney stone, is normal or abnormal.  To prevent the pressure from building up im my bladder and causing pain, I was given a foley catheter and sent home. I'm not in pain but now am worried about the the catheter becomming infected.  The tube exiting my urethra is not looking so great.  I am also concerned about prolonging any healing of my urethra from the cystoscopy.   Looking for suggestions as to have the foley removed or not and if the pain should be so bad.
I'm sorry you having so much trouble!  First of all, if you think you might have an infection from the catheter, I would call the doctor's office asap.  I'm sure he/she will want to check it and remove it if there is any sign of infection.  Re your stent, some people (me included, even tho I am a female) seem to suffer more from the stent than from the kidney stone.  My doctor just makes sure that I have pain med refills to see me through until he removes the stent.  Hope this helps a little!  Good Luck, StonyKidneys
i just recently had a tube put in my kidney, and i was worried about an infection. witch i got, now i still have flank pain along with MRSA, talk about stress!